Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Scrambled Eggs with Garlic Spinach


One of the challenges of a strict diet is making both the protein and the vegetable interesting, but eggs make it so freakin' easy! (Now, if you're a full-on vegetarian, I'm sorry. Eggs have been a life saver for me. I've heard there are ways to make tofu fit the bill, but I have not ventured there yet.) If you don't mind some eggs on occasion, I highly suggest this quick and easy combo:

Ingredients:
1 clove garlic, minced
2 handfulls organic baby spinach
3/4c. egg beaters
1oz. Cabot 75% fat free cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Simply toss the spinach into a medium sauté pan over medium heat with a little water (as always, no oil) and the minced garlic on top. Cover for a minute or so, until the spinach is wilted. Pour on the egg beaters, sprinkle in the cheese and season with salt and pepper. Continue to cook and scramble until done all the way through, then serve it up! Makes 1 serving with 27g protein and just 2 grams of fat.

3 comments:

  1. This is the quickest and tastiest breakfast, I usually have. I sometimes switch up some spices, and occasionally add a sliced white button mushroom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good, right?! What kind of spices do you like to try? I'm still just testing the waters of various herbs and spices - parsley, rosemary, dill, cilantro are my usual go-to herbs; for spices I use lots of different kinds of salts and spicy things (hungarian paprika is one of my faves, but it. is. hot!)

      Thanks for reading, and commenting!

      Delete
  2. I tend to Saute some garlic and ginger powder in the oil, along with the mushrooms, before cracking the eggs. May be red chilli powder (Indian grocery store), or ground pepper, based on my taste for the day. Keep the posts coming :)

    ReplyDelete