Friday, April 6, 2012

In the beginning....

I wasn't always fat, but I was never skinny. And I have been conscious of my weight all my life. At my heaviest, I weighed 206 lbs. And all that on just a 5' 3" frame; it wasn't pretty, and it didn't feel good.

Today I am far lighter, but still working at it. I lost 50 pounds on a diet plan full of vitamins and restrictions that seemed impossible. (If you've ever searched for a low-fat, low-calorie, low-sugar, vegetarian meal option, you know it's not easy.) The goal of each meal I eat is to take in 27 grams of protein, plenty of vegetables, and not much else. That number comes from a custom diet plan my brother (a nutritionist and trainer in the DC area) provided to me—there was a lot more to the plan than just this one guideline, but it is a number that has ruled my meal planning for months now, and hey, it has a nice ring to it! Hence TwentySevenGrams.

This blog chronicles my journey to good health through the kitchen. The recipes are based on other recipes, with alterations based on what I can or cannot eat. They are recipes using almost no fruit, grains, oils, nuts, beans, high-sugar vegetables, or meat. All of them are high in protein, but low in fat and sugar.

In my journey, I've fallen off the wagon and jumped back on, numerous times, and it is a constant struggle to say no to "yummy" things. While I hope that someday this approach to eating will become second nature, I have come to accept the fact that I will likely always have to work at it more than most.

But this is a blog about food. It's about succeeding. It's about finding food you can eat without kicking yourself for it in the morning. I think writing this blog will keep my head in the game. And I hope it helps you do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment